Access to water and sanitation is a human right that is not yet a reality for billions of people. Around 1.8 billion people have access only to contaminated water, while 2.4 billion people lack access to basic sanitation services, such as toilets. Water scarcity affects about 40 percent of the global population and 80 percent of wastewater is discharged into rivers or the sea without any treatment.
Examples of our contribution
- A good water supply is an extremely important requirement for our production. We use water as sparingly as possible and are constantly working towards reducing our emissions into bodies of water. We use water mainly for cooling, as process water in production, and to generate steam in our power plants.
- With our Group-wide water stress analysis, we include variable regional availability of water in our considerations and, consequently, take looming climate changes and developments into account at our sites.
- In agriculture, amino acids from Evonik, used in animal nutrition, help reduce water consumption.
- Environmentally friendly laundry, cleaning, and disinfection products from Evonik are completely biodegradable and have a very good ecological profile.
- Hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid play an increasingly important role as environmentally friendly alternatives in combating pathogenic organisms in wastewater. This is an environmentally friendly solutions, because the only byproducts of these two peroxides are water and acetic acid, which is readily biodegradable..
- Introduce a global water management system, including site-specific action plans