Suche
1889, Start of construction of the plant Essen-Goldschmidtstrasse
1889, Start of construction of the plant Essen-Goldschmidtstrasse
History

130 Years ago - 1889

Start of construction in Essen

In order to be closer to its markets, the Chemical Factory Th. Goldschmidt began in 1889 with the relocation of their business from Berlin to Essen.

Detinned sheet metal for the steel industry and auxiliaries for silk weaving and the textile industry - in order to be able to produce these products closer to its markets, the Chemical Factory Th. Goldschmidt Chemische began relocating its operations from Berlin to Essen. Following the purchase of a conveniently located site north of the city from the holdings of banking heir F. W. Waldthausen, construction at Salkenbergsweg 18 commenced on July 22, 1889.

The license had been granted three days earlier, on July 19. To obtain the operating permit, a number of official requirements had to be met. These included a ban on damaging the health of the resident population through exhaust fumes and leaving unregulated “solid or liquid company disposals” in the ground on the company premises. The area of the first factory premises in Essen was about one-tenth of the current site. From these modest beginnings, the present-day Essen-Goldschmidtstrasse site of Evonik Industries developed over time.